Hojin's SW Orlando Real Estate Scoop

Real Estate News for Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Gotha, Celebration, Winter Garden, Ocoee, Clermont, Metrowest

Hojin's SW Orlando Real Estate Scoop header image 2

The Withers-Maguire House

November 29th, 2007 · 9 Comments

wither-maguire_house2.jpg

The Withers-Maguire House located on Bluford Ave. in downtown Ocoee is one of the oldest homes in the area and on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1888 by Brigadier General William Temple Withers of the Confederate Army. The home was built in a 19th century architectural style called Gothic Stick which was popular from the Victorian Era until the end of the Civil War. General Withers played a prominent role in creating the city of Ocoee and the Ocoee Christian Church. The home was purchased in 1910 by David Maguire who resided in the home with his family for the next 73 years. Today, visitors can view the inside of the home on weekends between 2pm and 4pm.

Tags: Places in SW Orlando · SW Orlando History

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 James Kemper Millard // Jan 17, 2008 at 5:41 pm

This was my great-great grandfather’s Florida home. His farm was Fairlawn, just north of Lexington, Kentucky. He also had several plantations in Mississippi that came to him through his wife.

• 2 Linda Withers Milligan // Apr 15, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I saw a monument for William Temple Withers at Vicksburg. My maiden name was Withers. The only ancesters I know of came from Ohio and West Virginia. Did William have any West Virginia or Ohio history?

• 3 Martha Withers Utley Aitken & Spence Carrick Millard // Aug 27, 2008 at 1:38 am

We are are descendents of William Temple Withers, late of Fairlawn Stock Farm, Lexington, Ky. Our book on his life will be published next year. Because of this research, General Withers will be inducted into list of Immortals of the Harness Racing Hall of Fame, Goshen, N.Y. July 3, 2009.

• 4 Cheryl Gail Withers // Oct 3, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Hello there

I am Cheryl Withers from South Africa , my father is Brian Archiblad Withers, his family are decendants of England.. What I lovely House wish i could visit..
    Kind Regards

• 5 Robert Sharkey Withers, III // Jan 11, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Gen. W. T. Withers was my Great-Great Grandfather. I was raised in Jackson, Ms. but now live in Monticello Ms. Funny how so many of his decendents are into horses. I raise foundation bred Quarter Horses.

• 6 Merrill Holland Utley III // Aug 7, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I went to the induction weekend ceremonies in Goshen Ny, July 09. What a wonderful honor for our whole family. The people at the museum showed us such hospitality. I will not forget my experiences there. If any other family would like to make contact I am on Facebook. General Withers was my Great great Grandfather.

• 7 Christian Cassidy // Oct 22, 2010 at 6:46 am

Robert Sharkey Withers III, please contact me. I am a cousin interested in connecting with my mother’s father’s side of the family. Noble Moore Chambers, Sr. (Crowley Louisiana) and your mother Josephine Letitia Chambers Withers (Jackson, Miss)

• 8 James Kemper Millard // Dec 2, 2010 at 10:45 pm

We are also involved with horses. We have a Thoroghbred successfully racing as Wild Goose Creek and a Saddlebred 2003 National Champion Tip Top’s Sonata shown by daughter Caroline, ranked 13th overall with a Third Place at the World’s Championship Horse Show. Look for foal Sylvan Spring in the ring in 2012!

• 9 Thomas R. Bryant // Sep 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Do any of the Withers descendants know the location of the Withers house in Jackson MS? Confederate fortifications were said to have been constructed north of that location. Thanks.