Hojin's SW Orlando Real Estate Scoop

Real Estate News for Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Gotha, Celebration, Winter Garden, Ocoee, Clermont, Metrowest

Hojin's SW Orlando Real Estate Scoop header image 2

Why Do I Crave Gas Station Chicken?

June 10th, 2008 · 13 Comments

Every once in a while I get a weird craving for gas station chicken. Anyone who’s been on a road trip knows that gas stations in the middle of no where have the best fried chicken. I’m not saying you won’t need some Tums to get you through afterwards, but it sure is tasty.

It’s no different here in SW Orlando. The best fried chicken can be found at Dodge’s Store on highway 50 in Winter Garden. The address is 12961 W. Colonial Drive, Winter Garden, FL 34787 if you wanna get directions. I swore to myself never to eat gas station food again when I got sick from a Blimpies sub that I got at a gas station once, but gas station chicken is another thing altogether.

With gas prices around $4 a gallon, it makes the fried chicken at Dodge’s seem like an outright steal. For $1.99, you can get 2 hot wings and a chicken strip which make for a quite a tasty snack. You can also get plenty of zings, dings, jo jo’s, fries, turkey legs, and of course, good old apple pie for about the same price as a gallon of gas. The price of gas is getting out of hand.

Everyone there is super friendly and it feels like you’re in a small town eatery where everyone knows your name and they’re glad that you came yet you’re at a gas station. There’s just something about the smell of car fumes and fried chicken that appeals to me I guess.

The Dodge’s Store is the reason I crave gas station chicken.

Tags: Places in SW Orlando

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bill Hackett // Jun 10, 2008 at 11:56 pm

In California, “gas-station chicken” means that you’re afraid to drive up to the pump to see the almost daily increase in price per gallon. :-)

-Bill

• 2 Steve // Jun 11, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Where I live, we have a local convenience store with a built in chinese restaurant. You can get gas and lotto tickets and chinese food all at the same stop. But what the people passing through and making fun of it don’t realize is that it is quite possibly the best chinese food in a 20 mile radius (regardless of location). I’m not much on the chicken, but I can vouch for don’t underestimate the convenience store food.

• 3 Keahi Pelayo // Jun 11, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Thought provoking. Made me smile.
    Aloha,
    Keahi

• 4 The Upfront Mortgage Broker - Joe Bartolotta // Jun 12, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I’ll just have to stop by Dodge’s this summer after playing a round of golf out that way. I have been known to partake in convenience store prepared food from time to time.

• 5 akeorlando // Jun 12, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Very entertaining. Certainly a weird craving…but hey, we all have ’em. Mine: TGIFriday’s chicken nuggerts you can find in your local grocer’s freezer. (SO bad for you.)

• 6 Hojin Chang // Jun 12, 2008 at 2:11 pm

I’m gonna have to try the Friday’s nuggets. It’s a good thing I have a gym membership.

• 7 owen // Jun 12, 2008 at 5:49 pm

perfect I have hungry!

• 8 Brenda // Jun 13, 2008 at 10:51 am

Well since we are a chicken store that sells gas, this article works just as well. This is the best food that you will ever eat and customer service with a smile.

Store Leader in Huntsville, Alabama

• 9 Amanda // Nov 26, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Yup we are a chicken store that sells gas anf ia all about being friendly!

Assistant Store Leader in Olive Branch, MS

• 10 stoner // Sep 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I live near the Dodges Chicken Store in Dunedin, Florida. Once while shopping at the store, a lady with spiked black hair and all sparkly around her eyes waited on me, with all the sparkly around her eyes, I was afraid to eat any of the chicken, thought I would find some sparks in my food. Also she very flirting and asking me questions about if i was married or not, trying to pick me up or something!! Another customer was in line, they asked a question and boy was this spiked hair lady RUDE and got into a disagreement with them! The chicken store should fire this lady.

• 11 AhmaD // Feb 1, 2010 at 5:40 pm

we’r asked to design a “gas station” at architecture skool..
    am lookin for a case study n i end up at this page reading those comments,made me smile !

• 12 MyLinh // Oct 16, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I am a ex-employee from Dodges Maitland and what made me open my eyes to this company is that they don’t care for loyality, I was one of those people that would spend the night at my store to watch out for things, I worked 18 hours a day if needed to save payroll and if anyone called out I was there. I paid for bounced checks so this company would never lose money for mistakes by me or my staff. I loved my job. I spent a total of 20 to 30 thousand dollars working for them and never said a word. I was happy to do it for the job and keep my integrity and my staffs because if we made a mistake I wanted to make it right for Dodges. What they did to make me so angry and wonder why I was giving so much and why….there was a theft at the store of cigs and it was on camera and the thief got away with it…I spent 2 weeks watching the cameras studying the face on camera, because criminals always come back….and it happened where he did come back into the store and my husband and I were there….we retrieved a cell phone and the Maitland Police put a warrant out for the individual and he was soon arrested and is in jail now….what did Dodges do but charge me half of the cigs that were stolen a total of $3450. and when I questioned them about that I knew I signed my fate….is this right for this company to do this and reward me for the fact I basically played police and got the thief…does Henry and Bobby Dodge know what kind of treatment good honest hard working people are getting or is it true that Henry Dodge believes everyone in Florida are thieves…(that is what was put forth to me one time). My sales were up and I was loyal beyond fault….but to take $3450. for a crime I did not commit and had the real thief in jail….does Dodge need the money that bad for themselves to take from me and then come up with some bogus reason to fire me……

• 13 foodie // Dec 18, 2012 at 2:00 am

i live in east orlando and craving fried chicken really late. LOL! i knew nothing was open then remembered this place. never had it but passed it long ago… thought it was weird a gas station sold chicken haha! took Colonial drive all the way down and wasn’t that bad… no traffic. anyways, when i got there, it looked like the food had been laying there awhile but hell, i don’t blame them… it’s late. ordered 6 spicy wings and 3 thighs.

IT WAS REALLLLY GOOOOOOOD! definitely worth the late night drive. will do this again if i ever crave it late night….!! 😛