Hojin's SW Orlando Real Estate Scoop

Real Estate News for Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Gotha, Celebration, Winter Garden, Ocoee, Clermont, Metrowest

Hojin's SW Orlando Real Estate Scoop header image 2

Say No to Granite

August 14th, 2011 · 7 Comments

You can say I’ve seen a few homes over the years and it’s always refreshing when you see a new concept starting to unfold in design. For the longest time it was commonly perceived as granite countertops being benchmarks of luxury in a home. They’re so prevalent that it’s no longer special in my eyes.

I’d love to see something new in kitchens and baths like these resin decks that glow in low light made by Neo-Metro. Matching resin mirrors are also available to complete the look.

Granite is a beautiful stone but it’s so overdone that it’s becoming like one of those great songs that gets ruined from overplay on the radio.

There’s plenty of alternatives out there and I for one would like to see some originality.

I’m no decorating guru but it sure would be nice to see something different.

Tags: Home Staging · Homes of the Future · Luxury Products

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lesley // Aug 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I couldn’t agree more. As a buyer I feel bad when I see granite in the homes because it’s the first thing I plan to rip out any kitchen or bath, and I know it didn’t come cheap to the owner.

These glow in the dark surfaces although interesting will look dated and trendy after a short while. I like some of the eco-options out there now and even the stained concrete and wood surfaces have a lot of character.

• 2 Hojin Chang // Aug 16, 2011 at 7:49 am

You’re probably right about that counter looking outdated for a while. Seems like more contemporary design always outdated quicker. I just hope to see something different instead of granite all the time. People are definitely herders.

• 3 Susan // Aug 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm

There’s almost exclusively tract homes in my area and granite is in so many of them. I would love to see more marble. Is that gorgeous, or what?

• 4 Hojin Chang // Aug 25, 2011 at 7:41 pm

You’re absolutely right. Marble is beautiful but I’d settle for something original for Pete’s sake. Why does every house need granite now?

• 5 Marilyn Russell // Aug 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Leave it to the home builders who have managed, successfully, to convince home buyers that granite is the top notch, must have item in a kitchen. As an interior designer, I tend to stay away from granite (because there are other affordable alternatives out there) and rather use soapstone, quartz, concrete and my personal favorite, recycled glass.

• 6 Hojin Chang // Aug 26, 2011 at 7:34 am

The 90’s are over… it’s about time for something new.

• 7 Hojin Chang // Aug 26, 2011 at 7:45 am

Mark Twain once said, “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect”.